Mortgage Blog

Bring your SIN Number to your Closing Appointment in BC or you Can Not Close

September 7, 2016 | Posted by: Laurie Anne Faulkner

SIN Number needed before Lawyers can register your new property at Land Title in BC. 

When the BC Liberal government introduced their foreign buyer tax last month they also added a small detail for any real estate closings, including those of Canadian citizens and permanent residents: the buyer must provide an official document showing their social insurance number, like a T4, a Notice of Assessment, or their physical SIN card.

If you don't have yours handy, your accountant can probably help you - you can also access your tax account on line for your Notice of Assessment.

Accessing your NOA

So Gather up that information sooner rather than later, as you will need to bring it to your final lawyer’s appointment for closing in order for your lawyer to register yout new home at land title.

Back to Main Blog Page